Thursday 16 July 2009

Some 39 years ago (1970) I started my training as a nursery nurse. I trained in Tunbridge Wells in Kent and when I qualified (NNEB - 1973) I spent my days being a nanny for various families here in the UK and in Switzerland. I also worked as a nursery nurse at St Mary's Hospital in Praed Street, Paddington, London. Now - all these years later (Monday 20th) I am going to be meeting up with some of the "girls" I trained with. Our reunion will feature photographs from the past and no doubt, we will all disolve into giggles when we see ourselves looking like something out of a very low budget horror movie. And of course, we will be reminded of things we got up to and probably would not want to tell our children about. After all, the saying, "Do as I say, not as I do" will no doubt have passed many a parent's lips at some point as it has mine.

My time as a staff nurse ended the moment it begun because, qualified for a mater of minutes (or so it felt) I was fired on the spot for entertaining a gentleman on the steps of the children's home. We had all been told that no male was to pass through the main door after midnight - but as there was no directive to say I couldn't talk to one until 4am on the main steps on the outside of the building, so, I decided to chat away with my heart throb of the moment. Matron's little helper and prize grass told on me, and, as matron was evil personified, and hated me - I was sacked and given 2 hours to pack all my possessions and was told never to darken the doorstep ever again.

I left, and, many would say, I have been a little tinker ever since lol! Now I am 55 and I am really looking forward to meeting up with my old chums and joining in with stories from our deepest pasts. In my heart I am still the 16 - 19 year old who had the most fantastic time training, partying, making fabulous friends, and who came alive when Marc Bolan was played at the ... disco ...

When we meet up, should I wear the skin tight pink satin hipster trousers I was so fond back then? I mean, I have put on a few pounds since then but keeping them had to be for a reason, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment